Aredia has been studied in several studies for various conditions.
One way to assess the severity of Paget's disease is by measuring the level of alkaline phosphate in the blood. In studies, Aredia was shown to decrease alkaline phosphate levels, which indicates that it helps to improve Paget's disease.
High Blood Calcium
One study compared Aredia with etidronate (Didronel®), another bisphosphonate, for the treatment of high blood calcium due to cancer. Seven days after treatment, 70 percent of people who took Aredia had normal calcium levels, compared to just 41 percent of those who took etidronate.
Aredia has also been studied for preventing broken bones and other bone problems in people with multiple myeloma cancers or breast cancer that had spread to the bone. These studies measured the occurrence of indicators of bone problems, such as broken bones, bone surgery, bone radiation therapy, and spinal cord compression (pressure on the spinal cord caused by spinal fractures or other problems). People who took the drug had fewer of these problems, compared to those who did not take it. The medication also delayed the development of these bone problems.
General considerations for when and how to take Aredia include the following:
- The medication comes in injectable form. It is given through IV (intravenously) by your healthcare provider, usually at a hospital or clinic.
- For high blood calcium, Aredia is taken as a single dose, given by IV over 2 to 24 hours (although in some situations, retreatment may be necessary).
- For Paget's disease, the medication is taken in three doses on consecutive days, given by IV over four hours for each dose.
- For multiple myeloma, Aredia is taken every month, given by IV over four hours.
- For breast cancer that has spread to the bone, the medication is taken every three to four weeks, given by IV over two hours.
- It is important that you get enough calcium and vitamin D while taking Aredia, unless you are taking it for high blood calcium.
- You can take the medication with or without food.
- It is important that you are well hydrated before receiving your Aredia dose in order to protect your kidneys. Make sure to drink enough fluids in the days before your dose. In many cases, your healthcare provider may need to give you IV fluids to make sure you are hydrated enough.