Breast Cancer Questions
Questions to Ask After Surgery for Breast CancerYou may want to ask your surgeon these questions after breast cancer surgery:
- What did you learn from the pathology report?
- Would you please explain what is in the pathology report?
- How many lymph nodes were removed? Were they free of cancer? If not, how many showed signs of cancer?
- Did the tumor have clear margins (normal tissue around the tumor)?
- Were hormone receptor tests done? What were the results?
- What other tests will be done on the tissue? When will I know the results?
- Do I need further treatment?
- Should I consider joining a clinical trial?
Consider asking your doctor these questions before undergoing breast cancer radiation therapy:
- How will radiation be given?
- When will treatment start? When will it end? How often will I have treatments?
- How will I feel during treatment? Will I be able to drive myself to and from treatment?
- How will we know the treatment is working?
- What can I do to take care of myself before, during, and after treatment?
- Will treatment affect my skin?
- How will my chest look afterward?
- Are there any long-term effects?
- What is the chance that the cancer will come back in my breast?
- How often will I need checkups?
- What if I don't have radiation therapy?