Breast Cancer Surgery
Here are some questions to ask your surgeon before your procedure:
- What kind of surgery do you recommend for me?
- How much of my breast will be removed?
- If I have a mastectomy, will I be able to have breast reconstruction?
- Do you recommend it at the time of surgery or later?
- Will I meet with the plastic surgeon before surgery?
- Will you remove any of my lymph nodes?
- Where will the operation be done? Will I have local or general anesthesia?
- How should I feel after the operation? If I have pain, how can I get relief?
- What side effects should I report to you?
- Where will the scars be? What will they look like?
- Will a nurse or physical therapist teach me how to exercise and care for my arm?
- How long will I stay in the hospital? Will I need follow-up care?
- When can I get back to my normal activities? What activities should I avoid?
- What do I need to do to prepare for breast cancer surgery?
(Click Breast Cancer Questions for a list of other questions to ask about breast cancer.)