Cardiotoxicity and Herceptin
Monitoring for Cardiotoxicity With HerceptinThe manufacturer of Herceptin recommends a thorough cardiovascular assessment, consisting of a physical examination and either an echocardiogram or MUGA scan (tests to assess heart function) before starting Herceptin. Monitoring is suggested at each of the following times:
- Immediately before starting Herceptin
- Once every three months while taking Herceptin
- Once upon completing Herceptin therapy
- Once every six months (for two years) after stopping Herceptin
- Three months after taking Herceptin alone (after stopping paclitaxel)
- Three months after stopping Herceptin.
If you have to temporarily stop taking Herceptin due to cardiotoxicity, the monitoring is recommended to be performed once a month.