Breast Cancer Home > Arimidex Side Effects
Common Arimidex side effects include hot flashes, nausea, headache, and fatigue. However, most people who take the medication do not have any problems. If side effects should occur, they are typically minor and easily treated. Serious side effects of Arimidex that you should immediately report to your healthcare provider include high blood pressure, difficulty breathing, and unexplained vaginal bleeding.
An Introduction to Arimidex Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Arimidex® (anastrozole); however, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Arimidex. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Arimidex side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Arimidex
Arimidex has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which a group of people taking the drug have side effects documented. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur and how often they appear.
In these studies, the most common Arimidex side effects included:
- Hot flashes -- in up to 36 percent of people
- Nausea -- up to 20 percent
- Weakness or fatigue -- up to 19 percent
- Mood disturbances -- up to 19 percent
- Headaches -- up to 18 percent
- Arthritis -- up to 17 percent
- Pain -- up to 17 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 15 percent
- Sore throat -- up to 14 percent
- Nausea and vomiting -- up to 13 percent
- Bone pain -- up to 12 percent.
Other common side effects of Arimidex (occurring in 8 to 11 percent of people) included:
- Back pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Accidental injury
- Broken bones
- Insomnia (see Arimidex and Insomnia)
- Swelling or water retention in the arms or legs
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- High cholesterol (see Arimidex and High Cholesterol)
- Weight gain (see Arimidex and Weight Gain)
- Breast pain
- Urinary tract infection (bladder infection or UTI)
- Loss of appetite.