Breast Cancer Home > Breast Cancer Questions
Questions to Ask Before Treatment for Breast CancerYou may want to ask your doctor these questions on breast cancer before your treatment begins:
- What did the hormone receptor test show? What did other lab tests show?
- Do any lymph nodes show signs of cancer?
- What is the stage of the disease? Has the cancer spread?
- What is the goal of treatment? What are my treatment choices? Which do you recommend for me? Why?
- What are the expected benefits of each kind of treatment?
- What are the risks and possible side effects of each treatment? How can side effects be managed?
- What can I do to prepare for treatment?
- Will I need to stay in the hospital? If so, for how long?
- What is the treatment likely to cost? Will my insurance cover it?
- How will treatment affect my normal activities?
- Would a clinical trial be appropriate for me?
Consider asking your doctor these breast cancer questions prior to having surgery:
- What kinds of surgery can I consider? Is breast-sparing surgery an option for me? Which operation do you recommend for me? Why?
- Will my lymph nodes be removed? How many? Why?
- How will I feel after the operation? Will I have to stay in the hospital?
- Will I need to learn how to take care of myself or my incision when I get home?
- Where will the scars be? What will they look like?
- If I decide to have plastic surgery to rebuild my breast, how and when can that be done? Can you suggest a plastic surgeon for me to contact?
- Will I have to do special exercises to help regain motion and strength in my arm and shoulder? Will a physical therapist or nurse show me how to do the exercises?
- Is there someone I can talk with who has had the same surgery I'll be having?