Breast Cancer Home > Breast Cancer Questions
Questions to Ask Before Biological Therapy for Breast CancerYou may want to ask your doctor these questions before receiving biological therapy for breast cancer:
- What drugs will I be taking? What will they do?
- When will treatment start? When will it end? How often will I have treatments?
- Where will I go for treatment? Will I be able to drive myself home afterward?
- What can I do to take care of myself during treatment?
- How will we know the treatment is working?
- Which side effects should I tell you about?
- Will there be long-term effects?
Questions to Ask Before Breast Reconstruction SurgeryConsider asking your doctor these questions about breast cancer reconstruction surgery:
- What is the latest information about the safety of silicone breast implants?
- Which type of surgery would give me the best results? How will I look afterward?
- When can my reconstruction begin?
- How many surgeries will I need?
- What are the risks at the time of surgery? Later?
- Will I have scars? Where? What will they look like?
- If tissue from another part of my body is used, will there be any permanent changes where the tissue was removed?
- What activities should I avoid? When can I return to my normal activities?
- Will I need follow-up care?
- How much will reconstruction cost? Will my health insurance pay for it?
You may want to ask the doctor these breast cancer questions before you decide to start an alternative treatment:
- What benefits can I expect from this approach?
- What are its risks?
- Do the expected benefits outweigh the risks?
- What side effects should I watch for?
- Will the approach change the way my cancer treatment works? Could this be harmful?
- Is this breast cancer alternative treatment under study in a clinical trial? If so, who sponsors the trial?
- Will my health insurance pay for this approach?