Breast Cancer Home > Gemzar Side Effects
Serious Side EffectsSome side effects with Gemzar, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Blood in the stool
- Decreased urination, which may be a sign of kidney damage
- Signs of capillary leak syndrome (a rare but dangerous problem), such as:
- Fatigue and weakness, along with muscle pain and sometimes fever, vomiting, and diarrhea (these signs appear initially)
- Severe water weight gain and swelling, combined with low blood pressure (these signs appear later)
- Difficulty breathing
- Signs of an infection, such as chills or a fever (see Chemotherapy and Infections)
- Severe mouth sores
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including an unexplained rash, hives, itching, and unexplained swelling.
It is possible that you may experience some or none of the Gemzar side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking this drug. Also let your healthcare provider know if you develop something that "just does not seem right." While it may not be a Gemzar side effect, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.