Breast Cancer Home > Drug Interactions With Tamoxifen
If certain medications are combined, there is a possibility for negative drug interactions. With tamoxifen, taking it with anastrozole or bromocriptine, for example, can increase your risk of side effects, alter the levels of medication in your system, or affect how the drugs work. If drug interactions with tamoxifen are a concern, your healthcare provider may adjust your dosages or monitor you more closely.
An Overview of Drug Interactions With TamoxifenTamoxifen citrate (Nolvadex®) can potentially interact with other medications. Some of these medicines that may lead to drug interactions with tamoxifen include:
- Aminoglutethimide (Cytadren®)
- Anastrozole (Arimidex®)
- Bromocriptine (Parlodel®)
- Certain anticonvulsants, including:
- Chemotherapy medications
- Estrogens or other hormone replacement therapy
- Letrozole (Femara®)
- Oral contraceptives (birth control pills)
- Rifamycin antibiotics, including rifabutin (Mycobutin®), rifampin (Rifadin®), and rifapentine (Priftin®)
- Warfarin (Coumadin®, Jantoven®).