Your healthcare provider will take various factors into account when prescribing your Taxol dosage, including the type of cancer you have, your height and weight, and other chemotherapy medications you are taking. If you have liver disease, this can also affect your dosage. To prevent allergic reactions, your healthcare provider may "premedicate" you with other medicines before giving you your Taxol dose.
The dose of Taxol® (paclitaxel) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type of cancer being treated
- Your height and weight
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Taxol dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Taxol Dosage for CancerYour healthcare provider will base your Taxol dosage on your body surface area (which is calculated using your height and weight). Your dose will vary, depending on the type of cancer, the other chemotherapy medications you are taking, and whether you develop bothersome or dangerous Taxol side effects. Your dose may also change if you have liver disease, including liver failure or cirrhosis.
Usually, you will need to be "premedicated" with medications before each Taxol dose in order to prevent allergic reactions. Typically, these medications include dexamethasone (Decadron®), diphenhydramine (Benadryl®), cimetidine (Tagamet®), or similar medications.
Considerations for people taking Taxol include the following:
- Taxol is given through an IV.
- Most people receive their injection at their healthcare provider's office, a hospital, or at an "infusion center."
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Taxol will not work as well if you stop taking it before your healthcare provider recommends.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Taxol or your Taxol dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider.