At this time, a generic version of Taxotere is available. It is sold under the name docetaxel injection. Docetaxel solutions for injection come in various strengths and are sold by several different companies.
Generic Taxotere: An OverviewTaxotere® (docetaxel) is a prescription medication used to treat various types of cancer, including breast cancer, prostate cancer, and lung cancer. It is part of a group of chemotherapy medications called taxanes.
Taxotere is made by sanofi-aventis. However, the patents for this drug have expired, and Taxotere is now available in generic form.
Generic Taxotere is available in the following strengths:
- Docetaxel 140 mg/7 mL concentrate solution for injection
- Docetaxel 160 mg/16 mL solution for injection
- Docetaxel 160 mg/8 mL concentrate solution for injection
- Docetaxel 20 mg/0.5 mL concentrate solution for injection
- Docetaxel 20 mg/2 mL solution for injection
- Docetaxel 20 mg/1 mL concentrate solution for injection
- Docetaxel 80 mg/2 mL concentrate solution for injection
- Docetaxel 80 mg/4 mL concentrate solution for injection
- Docetaxel 80 mg/8 mL solution for injection.
This drug is made by various manufacturers, such as:
- Hospira, Inc.
- Accord Healthcare, Inc.
- Sandoz, Inc.
- Winthrop U.S.
The version sold by Winthrop is an "authorized generic," which means it is actually brand-name Taxotere (made by sanofi-aventis) that has been relabeled and sold as a generic.
Some of the generic Taxotere versions available are not technically interchangeable with Taxotere, most likely due to differences in how the drugs are mixed before use (Taxotere has a newer version that requires only one vial, while the generics typically require two vials).