Tykerb and Insomnia
If you are having difficulty sleeping while taking Tykerb, there are some things that you can try. Some tips for better sleep include:
- Keep a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
- Don't exercise within two hours of bedtime. Exercising five or six hours before bedtime, however, may help you sleep more soundly.
- Don't eat large meals within two hours of bedtime.
- Don't nap later than 3 p.m.
- Sleep in a dark, quiet room with a comfortable temperature.
- If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, do a quiet activity somewhere else and return to bed when you're sleepy.
- Wind down in the 30 minutes before bedtime with a relaxing pre-sleep ritual, such as a warm bath, soft music, or reading.
(Click Good Sleep Habits for more suggestions.)
Tykerb and Insomnia: Final ThoughtsRemember that it is impossible for your healthcare provider to know whether you will develop insomnia while taking Tykerb. Also, in some cases, if a person does develop insomnia, it is difficult to know whether these problems are caused by Tykerb or other factors.
If you develop insomnia while taking Tykerb, talk with your healthcare provider. He or she may be able to recommend other treatments (including insomnia medications), adjust your Tykerb dosage, or suggest another breast cancer treatment.